Are you excited about an amazing trip from Kochi to Munnar?
Get ready to be amazed by the beautiful scenery along the way! Munnar is a stunning hill station in Kerala, known for its tea plantations, misty mountains, and lovely waterfalls.
Whether you love nature, adventure, or just want a peaceful getaway, Munnar has something for everyone.
In this article, we will discover the best way to travel from Kochi(Cochin) to Munnar and find out why you should definitely visit this incredible place while on a trip to Kerala.
So, let’s get started
Available Modes of Transport To Travel From Kochi to Munnar
Let us explore various modes of transport to make your journey from Kochi to Munnar hassle-free and convenient:
1. Kochi to Munnar By Bus
If you prefer a budget-friendly and comfortable option, traveling from Kochi to Munnar by bus is a great choice. Buses provide a convenient mode of transport with regular services available throughout the day.
- Travel Time: The journey takes approximately 4 to 5 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
- Availability: Buses are available regularly throughout the day, especially from the main bus terminals in Kochi.
- Ease of Travel: Enjoy a relaxing journey with scenic views and hassle-free travel.
- Charges: Bus fares are reasonable, making it an affordable option for travelers. It could cost you around 150-200 Rupees for the bus tickets per person.
2. Kochi to Munnar By Rented Taxi
If you prefer a more private and convenient travel experience, renting a taxi is an excellent option for a journey from Kochi to Munnar.
By opting for a rented taxi, you can enjoy the flexibility of exploring at your own pace while relishing the scenic route. The travel time typically ranges from 3 to 4 hours, depending on traffic conditions and the stops that you make for sightseeing and activities on the way to Munnar.
Here are the key highlights:
- Travel Time: Around 3 to 4 hours, subject to traffic conditions.
- Availability: Numerous taxi rental services like J&J Taxi Service, Sobha Cab Services, Kottayam Taxi, etc operate in Kochi.
- Ease of Travel: Flexibility to customize your journey and make stops along the way.
- Charges: While taxi fares may be higher, the convenience and privacy make it a worthwhile investment.
3. Kochi To Munnar In Own Car
If you prefer the freedom and convenience of driving, traveling from Kochi to Munnar by your own car is a fantastic option. As you hit the road, you’ll have the freedom to choose the path that suits your preferences, whether it’s the NH85 or the alternative routes that wind through charming villages and tea plantations.
- Travel Time: Expect a travel time of approximately 3 to 4 hours, depending on traffic and road conditions.
- Availability: Your car is readily available, allowing you to commence the journey whenever you desire.
- Ease of Travel: Experience the joy of personalization as you create your own itinerary, make impromptu stops to capture great mountain views, and immerse yourself in the mesmerizing beauty of the journey.
- Cost: While you will incur expenses for fuel and any toll charges along the way, using your own car eliminates the need for rental fees or taxi fares. It’s an economical option that provides a sense of familiarity and comfort throughout the trip.
4. Travel From Kochi To Munnar By Train
Please note that there are no direct train services available from Kochi to Munnar. The nearest railway stations to Munnar, like Aluva and Ernakulam, are located quite a distance away from the hill station.
Therefore, it is advisable to consider alternative modes of transportation for your journey.
Also Read: Best Monuments to Visit In Kochi
Sightseeing On The Way To Munnar
Now, let’s take a look at some of the interesting places you can visit while traveling from Kochi to Munnar. Get ready to enjoy beautiful sights and attractions along the way:
Cheeyappara and Valara Waterfalls
Make a stop at Cheeyappara and Valara Waterfalls on your way to Munnar. These waterfalls are really beautiful, with water flowing down from high up in the hills. Take some nice pictures and enjoy the green surroundings.
Don’t miss the Pothamedu Viewpoint. From here, you can see tea, coffee, and cardamom plantations covering the rolling hills. It’s a great spot to watch the sunrise or sunset and see the pretty landscapes of Munnar.
Visit the Attukad Waterfall, hidden in the forest and hills. The waterfall is really nice to look at and you can take a peaceful walk along the path. Breathe in the fresh air and listen to the calming sounds of nature.
When you reach Munnar, head to the Mattupetty Dam. It’s a quiet place surrounded by hills and a calm lake. Take a boat ride and enjoy the peaceful water. Keep an eye out for elephants too, as sometimes you might spot them around.
Blossom Hydel Park
Take a break at the Blossom Hydel Park near Munnar. The park is well-maintained and has beautiful gardens. You can relax, enjoy the colorful flowers, and spend time with your family and friends. There are also activities like cycling and boating to enjoy.
Must Read: Best Religious Places To Visit In Kochi
Frequently Asked Questions Related To Your Travel
Below are some Frequently Asked Questions by people who are traveling from Kochi to Munnar:
1. Are there any direct buses available from Kochi to Munnar?
Yes, there are direct buses available from Kochi to Munnar, making it convenient to travel between the two destinations. It can take 3 to 4 hours of time for you to reach Munnar by bus.
2. What is the best time to visit Munnar?
The best time to visit Munnar is during the months of September to May when the weather is pleasant, and the hill station is adorned with lush greenery.
3. How far is Munnar from Kochi?
Munnar is located approximately 130 kilometers away from Kochi, making it a relatively short distance for a memorable road trip.
4. Can I rent a car in Kochi for the trip to Munnar?
Absolutely! You can easily rent a car in Kochi to have the freedom and flexibility of exploring Munnar at your own pace.
5. Are there any entry fees for the sightseeing places along the way?
While most of the places are free to visit for tourists, some of the sightseeing places along the way to Munnar may have entry fees. Thus, it’s always best to check locally for specific charges.
6. Can I visit Munnar on a day trip from Kochi?
To truly enjoy the beauty of Munnar, it’s recommended to plan an overnight stay rather than a rushed day trip from Kochi.
7. Are there any good restaurants or food stalls on the route?
Along the route, you’ll find a variety of good restaurants and food stalls offering delicious local cuisine for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians to satisfy your hunger.
8. What are some popular activities to do in Munnar?
Munnar offers a wide range of exciting activities to make your visit memorable.
You can start by going on thrilling jeep safaris(starting at 4,000 Rupees per person) that take you through breathtaking tea plantations and scenic valleys.
Echo Point is a must-visit spot where you can shout out and hear your voice echoing back amidst the serene surroundings.
For family fun, head to Dreamland Fun Park, where you can enjoy thrilling rides and engaging games for just 1,000 Rupees per person.
Don’t miss the Tea Museum, where you can learn about tea production and sample freshly brewed tea. If you’re up for an adventure, go trekking amidst the picturesque landscapes. You will also find boating activities nearby.
9. Are there any safety precautions to consider while traveling from Kochi to Munnar?
While traveling from Kochi to Munnar, it’s important to follow road safety rules, carry essential supplies like water and snacks, and check weather conditions to ensure a safe and enjoyable journey.